Proper Deadlift Technique
Watch the above video tutorial before reading these cues.
- Walk up to the bar, stand with your feet closer than shoulder width and have the bar halfway over your feet.
- Take a deep breathe down into your diaphragm and brace your core.
- Reach down, grab the bar at shoulder width.
- Engage your lats to stop your shoulders rounding forward when you’re lifting.
- Pull the tension out of the bar and keep your arms straight and locked in.
- Lift your hips until your shins are vertical.
- Keep your chest up and drive through your heels (imagine that you are pushing the earth away from you with your legs). To keep your glutes activated a good trick is to push your feet down into the ground and out to the side at the same time.
- At the top of the lift you want to lock your hips and squeeze your glutes hard (Don’t lean back and don’t try to shrug the weight).