Does Your Network Support You?
You are the average of the 5 people that you spend the most time with – Jim Rohn
The above saying refers to the law or averages, which is a theory that the result of any given situation will be the average of all outcomes. Whether we like it or not, those that are closest to us will have the greatest impact on our way of thinking and our decisions.
Are the people that you associate with on a regular basis contributing positively to your life? Do they cheer you on when you succeed, support you when you don’t or do they leave you feeling drained after every interaction.
This can be an uncomfortable thing to think about. Especially when your inner circle has been the same for years or even decades. This isn’t to say that you have to cut everyone off and only hang around successful people, but more to evaluate whether the people that you spend most of your time with align with your consciousness level and your values.
Ways to identify your inner circle:
What kind of person do you want to be?
– What characteristics are important to you?
– What values are important to you?
– Where do you see yourself in the future?
Who are the 5 people you spend most of your time with?
– What are they like?
– Do they share the same values as you?
– Do they contribute to your relationship?
– Do they elevate you or bring you down?
If you have evaluated your inner circle and discovered that you could use some more positive influence, where to now?
Start to network…
– Reach out to people… Start conversations. It doesn’t matter what you talk about, just show genuine interest and get to know people. Learn from what they have to say and share experiences.
– Find a mentor. Look for someone that has accomplished the things in life that you wish to accomplish and pay them to teach you. Even if there is a transaction it doesn’t mean that they can’t hold a positive influence.
Start to shape the life that you envision by surrounding yourself with people that have the positive qualities that empower you to be successful.